Friday, May 26, 2006

Laughter

In my Thursday night class they like to mix us up a bit and keep us even in size.  So, last night, they moved a gal over from another table to our table. She looked at me and said;

“Oh good, I get to sit with the lady who laughs all the time.  This should be fun!”

“Me?” I asked laughing nervously.  “I don’t always laugh!”

“Yes you do!” responded everyone at the table.  “You are doing it right now”.

I have to admit that I was embarrassed.  I couldn’t help but wonder what people were thinking about me.  Was I some sort of freakish buffoon? Did everyone roll their eyes and think I was a braying hyena? (In case you didn’t notice, I’m really, really good at coming up with awful self-doubting scenarios!)

After mulling about it for a bit, I decided that it was a good thing.  Everyone seemed to remark on it in a good natured, positive way.  I also noted that they didn’t go searching for other tables either.

I don’t hold back when I laugh.  If I find something slightly amusing, I will just smile or chuckle.  If it’s really funny to me, I will let a full fledged belly laugh just pour out of me.  I don’t really understand why some people stifle their feelings…good or bad.  It can’t be good for you.

I laugh.  I cry.  I enjoy myself.  I hereby resolve to hold my head high and not be embarrassed or wonder what other people think.  And yes, you are welcome to come sit with me and see what all the fun is about.

Be prepared to laugh. They say it’s the best medicine.