Sunday, April 02, 2006

Zombie Girls

One of the most exciting things that a young girl can do is go to or have a slumber party. What a great time to hang out with your friends, stay up late, eat yourself sick and just be goofy! This has been the weekend, for some reason, for sleepover birthday parties. Both girls had a party that they could barely wait to go to.

The weekend’s first sleepover was for Mimi. When I dropped her off on Friday night, I asked the mom (Whom I don’t yet know her very well) to please make sure they didn’t stay up too late as she was to test for the next belt in martial arts in the morning. She really needed to be alert for that. Then, finding common ground, we chatted about how her son had studied martial arts and she knew how important it was to be well rested. Feeling reassured, I kissed my child good-bye and went on my merry way. (Of course, I couldn’t help myself, I had to remind that girl once again to make sure she got some sleep.)

The next morning I picked Mimi up at 10:00. She could barely keep her eyes open. The mom just kinda shrugged and said that the kids had stayed up a little late. Upon further questioning, Mimi informed me that she didn’t go to bed until 5:00 AM! Sigh… My girl barely made it through testing. She managed to squeeze in an hour nap before we dragged her off to watch her sister test. (Shall I mention how hard her father had to work to get that child awake? He even resorted to using ice cubes to get her attention…not that he minded very much!) We got back home again around 6:30 and she fell right back asleep without even bothering with dinner. Shaun thought we should wake her up again so that she wouldn’t wake up in the middle of the night and think it was morning. (I personally think he just wanted a good reason to play with ice again!)

Mimi didn’t wake up until it was almost time to go get KT from her sleepover. Now KT is the sensible child. She knew how upset I was at her baby sister. She also knew that she needed sleep as she still had homework and other things to do so I wasn’t worried about her too much. Silly me. I took one look at the dark circles under her eyes and knew we had another zombie on our hands. She did go to bed earlier than her sister though…by one hour!

Even though they come home as zombie girls, it’s hard to be too upset at them. After all, you are only young once and it’s fun to remember how great it was to hang out with my friends, stay up late, eat myself sick and just be goofy when I was a kid. Of course, some might say that’s pretty much what I do when I go on my bi-annual scrapbooking retreats. Hmmm…

Disclaimer to my children: The longer you stay up, the longer it is until the next sleepover. I only get to go play twice a year. You’ve been warned!