Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Potato Puffs

This weekend kt got a wild hair and decided she wanted to work on her cooking skills. So she pored over the vegetarian cookbook that we had borrowed from the library and decided that she would make something called “Potato Puffs”. These lovely little gems were basically leftover mashed potatoes wrapped up in crescent rolls.

I pointed out to her that we had neither leftover potatoes nor crescent rolls. Then I quickly informed her that I wasn’t going to the store. Thwarted, she just glowered at me for a moment as only a teenage girl can do. Not too surprisingly, she quickly turned to her father. Using her best “Daddy’s Little Girl” voice, kt started to charm him into taking her to the grocery store and into making some mashed potatoes for her.

“I don’t know how to make mashed potatoes!” her daddy protested. “You go make them”

“But, Daddy…I don’t know how!” she whined.

“Well, I think you just cook them for a while and then you smush ‘em”

“What?” she cried out in astonishment, “You have to cook the potatoes?!”

Shaun and I just looked at each other in amazement. Could this really be our child? Our beautiful, smart, funny and talented child? Was it possible that she really was that clueless? Or maybe…just maybe...could it be that we use entirely too many instant potatoes in this house?