Saturday, January 21, 2006


“Mom! Look at this new dance Sarah taught me.”

“OK, I’m watching” I said. Both girls (and Shaun too!) are forever showing me something and anything. I have to admit, I’m not always interested in whatever it is, but I realize what an honor it is to be the chosen audience, so I always watch. (or at least pretend to!)

“It goes like this…Just a jump to the left” she sang along as she demonstrated her steps. “and a step to the right. Put your hands on your hips, and bend your knees in time”

“Bring your knees in tight” I corrected her.

“Mom!” She screeched “you know this song???”

“Of course” I said as I sang and danced the next line much to her amazement and glee. (There might have been some embarrassment in there too.)

As far as I can tell, she thinks it's a really fun, yet slightly naughty dance. I started to tell her where this dance originated from, yet hesitated. I have very fond memories of arriving for some midnight showings armed with toast, squirt guns, flashlights, newspapers etc. (Sadly, I never did dress up though.) In our house, we have always gone by the theory that nothing is taboo. We can and do talk about everything and anything. Still, is this one of those Mother-Daughter sharing moments or is this best experienced coming from friends? (If they ever lean that way…it’s not for everyone.) .
I guess I’ll have to play this one by ear.

Dammit, Janet! How come I can't get these lyrics out of my head?